Spiritual Director Formation
The Heartland Center for Spirituality team will be providing a three-year process of instruction, support and ongoing discernment for SpiritLife participants who feel called to the ministry of spiritual direction.
Requirements for Participation
- Participant must sense a call to journey with people in spiritual direction, and must be willing to engage in ongoing discernment as to the authenticity of this call.
- Letter of recommendation from participant's pastor or spiritual director.
- SpiritLife core curriculum
- Spiritual direction formation sessions from 3:15 - 4:30 p.m. on SpiritLife class days. We will discuss books, articles, and practice skills. Written reflection assignments will be given. Attendance at 8 of 10 sessions (years I and II required).
- Supervision / peer group (3rd year), including four individual supervision sessions and four practicum workshops.
Practicum workshops currently scheduled are as follows:
a. For group beginning in 2010-11: Feb. 1-2, 2013; March 8-9, 2013; May 3-4, 2013; graduation at peer supervision weekend, August 2-3, 2013.
b. For group beginning in Fall 2011 and completing in April 2013: November 1-2, 2013;
January 17-18, 2014; March 14-15, 2014; graduation at peer supervision weekend, May 2-3, 2014.
- Year 3 participation will be co-discerned by Heartland Team and participant's spiritual director.
- Personal discipline of prayer with accountability to God through spiritual direction (10 sessions per year).
- Annual retreat of your choice.
Requirements for Completion
- SpiritLife core curriculum.
- Spiritual director formation process described above.
- Recommended for completion by spiritual director and SpiritLife instructors.
- Attend annual retreat of your choice to deepen your spiritual growth.
- $100 per semester for years one and two.
- $350 total for the four Year 3 practicum week-ends.
- Books and materials (approx. $35 per year).
- Fees for spiritual direction and Year 3 individual supervision sessions (approx. $45 per session).
- Annual retreat expense.
Participants completing this formation process will receive a certificate of completion from Heartland Center for Spirituality.